Tuesday 4 August 2009

Feed me

Looking through some of the archive at Harriet Brown's blog, Feed Me, I happened upon this post. It attracted me in part because I have a post with that title that I've not managed to finish. Ha! It was well worth a read, as indeed is the whole blog.

To sum it up, the post was regarding a comment along the lines of they don't get why those who are fat and healthy get pissy, when they get obesity slammed, as they must know that it doesn't apply to them only those who are fat outliers.

Which is of course the point of why obesity is a nonsense in the first place. A comment made my Jen summed things up;
If someone is morbidly obese, like, help me I can't get out of bed/haven't left my house in 10 years because I'm too big to get out the door, that's a problem.
I was about to opine when I realised that HB had closed the comments. During that time, I was staggered enough to realise that I kind of fitted into this category more than would be obvious. Before I go into that though, let me set down my problem with this analysis.

Very fat people, those at the top of the scale, how have they been helped by the crisis exactly? The one thing it could have done that health campaigns usually do is to reduce or extinguish stigma.

Have you stopped laughing yet? I'll continue. People who are against obesiness, don't give a flying fig about people who are fat way beyond more quotidien fatness. I don't see the physiotherapy set up to see not only if more can preserve or increase mobililty, but to see if there are any physical set of motions that could be discovered/ invented to help the body to soothe any pains or even help reverse their fatness enough for the same ends.

I don't see much evidence of trying to see if their weights can stabilized at all, in any way. Thing is, when it comes to studying any human condition, it is de rigeur of the science to become obsessed with the outliers of said state so much so that the lesser cases get upset at the lack of attention.

Oh to be complaining about obesity science's obsession with those who are unusually fat? Can you imagine it? All attention placed on them in a totally non judgemental way, trying to do everything to allieviate anything that might be exacerbated by weight in itself, not just out of a natural desire to relieve suffering, but because actual attempts to relieve suffering have pushed forward so much of medicine, something that is consistently underrated.

That's why the hatred is such as sign of a desire not to progress, because if you are desperate to ease pain, you barely give a rat's jack about creating negative judgements.

The above quote sounds like the 'immobility' that can be induced by depression. It's kind of sad that someone so fuses their lack of movement with a high weight, but not surprising.

No comments:

Post a Comment