Monday 18 October 2010

The power of STOP!

I didn’t realise how much the counselling industry had penetrated the mindset of a strata of society 'til I visited with the internet. Not that it is necessarily a good or bad thing, but as with any valued cultural theme, the enthusiasm invested can spill into making a fetish of its dominant themes.

The one I’m thinking of is, talking must occur at all times-to affect an almost quasi spiritual cathartic resolution. I don’t mind this, I know how to talk myself and was once described disparagingly (he felt) as over-analytical! Heh-ayee, that’s one of the best admonishments I've ever had!

So theoretically (I thought) I’d be on board with things must always be talked through. But to my surprise, when it comes to the kind of circular negativity that is all self perpetuating momentum and no logic like say, fat hating yourself. I’ve learned that sometimes there is just one word needed.

STOP!

I’m not saying that’s all of it, but sometimes telling your brain to HALT! The momentum of these pointless and circular thoughts is the best thing you can do. It's all you need to cling to when you're tired of thinking, talking, worrying at and wrestling with all sorts of rubbish that just happens to have gotten a hold of your brain. Things that have been circling around your head for years and probably will forever more unless you tell them to just:

STHU.

And don’t feel it has to be once either. Keep repeating as many times as you want, for as long as it feels like something you need like; relief, peace, or to feel like you are doing something when you don’t have the energy to think or do anything much.

You don’t have to worry at all or think about it, just move on when you feel to. And return to it whenever you want. And guess what? It has an effect. Well, I’ve found so. It doesn’t necessarily stop all or any of them, dead, not at once. But it can and does weaken them enough to give other options a chance.

Don’t worry too much, allow the effects. Then think about what they are.

So talk things through, talk the hind legs off a donkey if you like, but sometimes you just need one four letter word.

No comments:

Post a Comment